The MDSSFTD package contains the open source code to estimate the total downwelling surface solar flux (DSSF) and the corresponding diffuse fraction based on observations from the SEVIRI camera on board of the geostationary satellite MSG. MDSSFTD is based on a retrieval method uses dynamic information on gases and aerosol particles for both clear and cloudy sky conditions. The method for clear sky retrieval is referred to as SIRAMIx (Ceamanos et al., 2014) and considers a mixture of different aerosol types based on CAMS aerosol data. The approach for cloudy retrieval is an evolution of the algorithm described in Geiger et al. (2008), which now includes the consideration of a dynamic aerosol mixture thanks to SIRAMix and the calculation of the diffuse fraction based on the method described in Reindl et al. (1990). The full methodology will be presented along with an evaluation on ground stations in two companion articles (Carrer et al., 2020, in preparation).
Information on the installation and usage of MDSSFTD is found in the Wiki tab. Instructions on acknowledgment for using MDSSFTD are also given there.
The code MDSSFTD can be found in the Files tab.
Please find the latest news in the News tab.
- Carrer et al., 2020a Satellite retrieval of downwelling shortwave surface flux and diffuse fraction under all sky conditions in the framework of the LSA SAF program (part 1: methodology), Remote Sensing, Submitted.
- Carrer et al., 2020b Satellite retrieval of downwelling shortwave surface flux and diffuse fraction under all sky conditions in the framework of the LSA SAF program (part 2: evaluation), Remote Sensing, Submitted.
- Ceamanos, X., D. Carrer, and J.-L. Roujean, Improved retrieval of direct and diffuse downwelling surface shortwave flux in cloudless atmosphere using dynamic estimates of aerosol content and type: application to the LSA-SAF project, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 14, no. 15, pp. 8209-8232, Aug. 2014.
- Geiger, B., Meurey, C., Lajas, D., Franchistéguy, L., Carrer, D., and Roujean, J.-L.: Near real-time provision of downwelling shortwave radiation estimates derived from satellite observations, Meteorol. Appl., 15, 411-420, 2008.
- Reindl, D.T., Beckman, W.A., and Duffie, J.A., Diffuse fraction correlations, Solar Energy, 45:1-7, 1990